Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New routers?

New routers? 10 years 1 month ago #6378

• Rooster
  • ( Admin )
  • ROOSTER
  • Thank you received: 37
This might be one of those posts that gets out there too late (cuz I am not a patient, waiting kind of person, lol) but anyone have any experience with the Linksys AC series routers? (1200, 1600, 1900) Need a new router in a bad way, and looking at going that route (don't have any other AC supported gear yet, just a bunch of N and G). Interested in alternative firmwares like dd-wrt/openwrt etc..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New routers? 9 years 6 months ago #6471

• Gorian
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I know this is SUPER old, but since there were no replies, I would suggest building a router using pfSense. I've used it for years rock solid. I bought a small HTPC computer off newegg (~$200, included case, mobo, and CPU), threw in a stick of RAM and a 2.5" HDD and installed pfSense. Combined with a desktop switch, it only needs two nics at minimum, and has all the features you could ever want. If you can find an AC pci card that supports working in infrastructure mode, then you can use it as a wireless router / AP as well.

New routers? 9 years 5 months ago #6472

• Rooster
  • ( Admin )
  • ROOSTER
  • Thank you received: 37
I've heard a lot about pfSense, never messed with it (yet) though. WIll have to check it out. I ended up going with a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, their top of the line unit, as it is. Love it to death, rock solid, AC speeds punch through the walls like 'G' series routers, and NOT like 'N' speed ones!! Coupled that with a Linksys Media Portal I think it was called, it's Linksys' remote AP device. All the reviews I read said my beloved Linksys (which was sold from Cisco to like Belkin or something) went to crap, in terms of quality. I've been with Cisci/Linksys since I entered the networked world, literally, every piece of hardware has a Cisco or Linksys logo. Was hard to pull the trigger, but after the reviews over and over about "better price, but you pay for it in quality" left me super pleased with my decision. I can't speak for any other netgear devices (set PLENTY up, but don't use em in my house, in the past), but the R7000 is a beast.

My only gripe, is some settings force it to reboot, and it doesn't always tell you when that will be. Wife lost streaming netflix movie a couple times cuz I was messing around altering settings and whatnot and suddenly "updating changes" (netgear slang for rebooting router, lol) :)

For that pfSense, which is more important, other than the NIC's, CPU or RAM?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds