Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Make your joystick work!!

Make your joystick work!! 16 years 4 weeks ago #345

• Rooster
  • ( Admin )
  • ROOSTER
  • Thank you received: 37
Okay.. Yea, you have to have an Xbox 360 controller.. If you do have one, read along:

I'm going to try to make this easy for everyone posting DJClayDuck's work with my own. First and foremost, major kudos to DJClayDuck for discovering and posting about how to enable the stick.. Without that, I'd have nothing more to be able to write about.. His post is here: forumplanet.gamespy.com/frontlines_technical_support/b67263/19732822/p1/?2

It says this:

Okay, this is how to enable your 360 controller on this game.

Go to C:\Program Files\THQ\Frontlines-Fuel of War\GCGame\Config
and edit DefaultEngine.ini

find where it says

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
AllowJoystickInput=0

and change the 0 to a 1.

so it should look like this..

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
AllowJoystickInput=1

Now save this file.
If you can't save it, Save it to your desktop as an .ini and move it to the config folder and replace the old one.

I would personally add this.. Before you even open the file, right-click on it. Select properties, and un-check the 'Read-Only' box.. In fact you'll be doing that on more of the config files.. So hit em all while you're in there!

Now.. Super. You can use your controller with FFoW!

Why isn't it enabled by default?
- Best guess, because it only works with Xbox 360 Controllers (wired or wireless w/ wireless receiver of course), and not the general population of controllers. I'd also speculate there will be an upcoming patch to allow the option in-game to change the layout (see below). Merely speculation. Could simply be the file left their shop set to the wrong switch (0 instead of 1)

I want to fly with my controller but the controls are kinda weird..
- That's where I step in.. See, you can easily change that.. (Gotta love the functionality of a UT(3)-based game.. Follow these simple steps and you will have a controller set up to how I (and many) fly helo's in games like BF2.

1. Open the same folder that got you your controller enabled and open the 'DefaultInput.ini' file.

Search for these lines:

; --- Xbox global keys --- 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",Command="DoJump") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",Command="GamepadStartAltFire | OnRelease GamepadStopAltFire") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",Command="Use | OnRelease ReleaseUse") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="ReloadWeapon | OnRelease ReleaseReloadWeapon | NextVehicleSeat") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",Command="onrelease ShowSquadPie") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="ToggleMapSize") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",Command="NextMapZoomLevel") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",Command="onrelease VOIPModeSequenceAdvance | StatXZYSpecial") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",Command="ShowMenu") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",Command="GamepadThrow | Target | OnRelease ReleaseGamepadThrow") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",Command="Fire") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbstick",Command="GamepadCheckZoom | OnRelease GamepadReleaseZoom") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftThumbstick",Command="CheckPosture") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",Command="ShowWeaponPie 1 | OnRelease HideWeaponPie") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",Command="Sprinting") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",Command="ToggleScores") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="Axis aTurn Speed=0.6 DeadZone=0.2") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="Axis aLookup Speed=0.8 DeadZone=0.2")

The last four are what we are concerned with.

What you're going to do now is scroll on down to the item-specific Bindings, they look like these:
;==================== BEGIN JET-SPECIFIC BINDINGS ==================== 
;==================== BEGIN HELI-SPECIFIC BINDINGS ==================== 
;==================== BEGIN RC HELI-SPECIFIC BINDINGS ==================== 
Take these four lines of modified code (rebinded code is all it is) and paste them over the four 'similar' lines (the ones that look identical to the last four above). Take note to the area your placeing them and be sure to add the additional text behind the .Bindings command.. Eg. for my Heli controls, it looks like this:
.BindingsHeli=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="Axis aTurn Speed=0.6 DeadZone=0.2") 
.BindingsHeli=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0 DeadZone=0.2") 
.BindingsHeli=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2") 
.BindingsHeli=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="Axis aLookup Speed=0.8 DeadZone=0.2")

Doing it this way will enable you to still use your controller for combat, should you want to do that.

As noted by DJClayDuck also, you can edit the sensitivity of the sticks on the controller here as well.. You will note that for the RightY I have the speed set to -1.0. This is the pro's way of inverting the axix without using that in-game one.. So be sure that invery axis in-game is set to off

You can also edit the behavior of the rest of the 360 buttons by tinkering with these settings:
Here:
; -- xbox named actions are just keybindings 
.Bindings=(Name="Fire",Command="StartFire | OnRelease StopFire") 
.Bindings=(Name="AltFire",Command="StartAltFire | OnRelease StopAltFire") 
.Bindings=(Name="Fire3",Command="StartFire 2 | OnRelease StopFire 2") 
.Bindings=(Name="FireFlare",Command="StartFire 3 | OnRelease StopFire 3") 
.Bindings=(Name="Hovering",Command="Button bHover") 
.Bindings=(Name="Sprinting",Command="Button bSprintKeyDown") 
.Bindings=(Name="DoDuck",Command="Duck | OnRelease UnDuck") 
.Bindings=(Name="Target",Command="SetTarget") 
.Bindings=(Name="Throw",Command="FireThrowableWeapon") 
.Bindings=(Name="LookUp",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=-0.1 AbsoluteAxis=100") 
.Bindings=(Name="LookDown",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=+0.1 AbsoluteAxis=100") 
.Bindings=(Name="DoJump",Command="Jump | DeployChute | Hovering") 
.Bindings=(Name="PrevWeapon",Command="PrevWeapon | OnRelease PrevWeaponRelease") 
.Bindings=(Name="NextWeapon",Command="NextWeapon | OnRelease NextWeaponRelease") 
.Bindings=(Name="Zoom",Command="CheckZoom | OnRelease ReleaseZoom")
and here:
; --- Xbox global keys --- 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",Command="DoJump") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",Command="GamepadStartAltFire | OnRelease GamepadStopAltFire") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",Command="Use | OnRelease ReleaseUse") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="ReloadWeapon | OnRelease ReleaseReloadWeapon | NextVehicleSeat") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",Command="onrelease ShowSquadPie") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="ToggleMapSize") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",Command="NextMapZoomLevel") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",Command="onrelease VOIPModeSequenceAdvance | StatXZYSpecial") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",Command="ShowMenu") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",Command="GamepadThrow | Target | OnRelease ReleaseGamepadThrow") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",Command="Fire") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbstick",Command="GamepadCheckZoom | OnRelease GamepadReleaseZoom") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftThumbstick",Command="CheckPosture") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",Command="ShowWeaponPie 1 | OnRelease HideWeaponPie") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",Command="Sprinting") 
.Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",Command="ToggleScores")

So that you can make the right stick (which is your thrust) be clickable as your afterburner, as I do also in BF2...

The sky is the limit, really.. Just remember to add the thing you want to bind to it.. In other words, the .Bindings should almost ALWAYS have something after it (like .BindingsRCHeli, .BindingsLand, etc...).

If this is a little confusing, just post what you're having a problem with and I'll either help ya or edit this.. I AM writing it at like 2:00am here, so be kind

Hope this little deal is helpful to someone.. I can't edit posts so if I discover new things worthy, I'll just post em in this topic.
Last Edit: 16 years 4 weeks ago by Rooster.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.122 seconds