Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Manic Digger anyone?

Manic Digger anyone? 11 years 4 months ago #5685

• Rooster
  • ( Admin )
  • ROOSTER
  • Thank you received: 37
From time to time, I throw up (sometimes keep, just idle) various game servers and whatnot. This weekend, my younger son broke, well fractured his arm officially benching the rest of his baseball season and rendering him quite bored. He has been wanting to play minecraft, but not being a fan of shelling out 3x fees if not more, I recently stumbled upon an opensource clone called, you guess it, manic digger.

I have a server up, might put a second one up (they have a war mode, lol, 1st person shooter). Still working out kinks, getting to know the pros and cons and all that stuff ("griefing" is sadly popular, a habit where players come in just to destroy what you've made).. But if anyone, or anyone's kids want in, just hollar and I'll post the (easy) directions..

Working on getting 'zones' set up, where trusted folk can build in safety without worrying about griefers etc..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Manic Digger anyone? 11 years 4 months ago #5688

• LivingH2O
  • ( Admin )
  • Thank you received: 4
Send me the info, my kids play constantly.

Re: Manic Digger anyone? 11 years 4 months ago #5700

• Rooster
  • ( Admin )
  • ROOSTER
  • Thank you received: 37
First thing you'll need is the software: manicdigger.sourceforge.net/nightly/?C=M;O=D is the nightly build area - 99% of the community runs ManicDigger2012-10-17 (binary or setup). The newer ones currently have serious bugs, the older ones lack some of the cool/new features. I went with binaries.. It's your standard zipped up ready to run anyway file. No installation necessary, no fuss.

This This site Once Click Register in the top right - Make a username/password. You only need to do this once, and the manic digger client has the option to remember both user and pass, making it great for kids :) (lol) Additionally do note if you want a custom skin for your miner, you will note the 'choose skin' option under the same area you logged in. Manic Digger uses the same skins as (cough) minecraft, as well as higher resolution once, but my kids have all found it much easier and faster to google minecraft skins.

Once that's done, fire up the manicdigger.exe file in the folder you decompressed. You can make a shortcut of that to your desktop / start/games or wherever you want - The installer probably does that too, if you went that route..

Pop in the username/password you created. Look in the list of server for anything that starts with cKs/MTX I think the current one is called (USA) cKs/MTX Digland 1.

Things to know:

Let me know the spelling of your name(s). I will grant access.. I specifically have the game start up in a place I now call n00btown. Turns out, there is a big destroying brick craze, or as they call it, "griefing", where people just come in and try to destroy all your hard work. So n00btown lets people come in and build at their own risk. Once we feel someone can be trusted, IE no one complains that they grief, etc., they gain access to a more secure zone. Finally, they get main city (free roam anywhere) access. You will be bumped up to mod/admin access, and able to build anywhere, though the rules still apply about destroying the work of others, strictly prohibited lol. If you or your kiddos have never played this kind of game, I do ask you learn in n00btown a bit. It's a little intimidating because the left mouse destroys, and the right mouse creates, and there's no like, safety or anything, except a red "antivandel" brick, that I encourage my kids to equip whenever they aren't building.

My oldest son requested I start a war server up, so that may come this week, or end of next, depending on time and hardware necessary. It is a fps mod for MD. The mod splits the map in half, and your mission is to defend your territory. Traditionally log cabins and castles are built with the object (as I understand it) to destroy the other sides stuff (and players). First to wipe the other teams map wins, again, as I understand it. I do know points are earned for destroying enemy bricks (ie buildings), not sure how literal the rest is, lol..

The other kinda important thing for you and all to understand is that this game is very much a work in progress. I have only seen Minecraft played as a demo on my Android tablet - The kids played the MC demo on the PC, but you only get one hour, total time, to play, and they chewed it up before I even knew it was running. So I don't have much to compare to. What I can tell you is I have had a blast watching my kids play it and have fun, and literally my jaw dropped the 1st day. I set the server up last Sunday night, and by 5 hours later, when I woke up, all sorts of people were on the server building things. Awesome things.

If you have any questions, just hollar. You can hit 'esc' and set your resolution and full screen, as well as get a list of the keys and what they do. Creative mode means your toon has access to every brick - The fortress/standard mode (a ripoff name of survival which is what MC calls is) is the mode where you start with basically nothing, and must use your pickaxe to bust bricks, find ore, use the crafting table to make items, and then build with what you have. Sounds like fun to me, I like earning stuff, but my kids were bothered by the fact they'd have to mine for a month before they could build a simple house (their words, lol). So depending on how long this fad lasts with them, a third, "Hardcore" server as I would call it, MAY appear (or if any of you would like to see that).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds