Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the official Political discussions forum. All threads politically-based need to be here. It also goes with the understanding that while there are no flames to be made, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. You are always free to state your opinions and why you feel your way is the correct way to believe, just be respectful of others!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can Americans hear differing points of view? VIDEO

Can Americans hear differing points of view? VIDEO 13 years 2 months ago #5102

• RunningMan
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Below is a link to a European/American round table on the problems America faces with the polarization of its politics as well as a number of other interesting issues. At the heart of the discussion is concerns over the decline in civility amongst supporters of both the Democrat and Republican parties. I found much of this short discussion to be quite well thought out and insightful. See for yourself...

DW-TV (Arizona Shooting)

(NOTE: click on the icon in the corner to enlarge the video to full screen. Also note that at busy times of the day videos on this sight may not play well so you may have to try back again if you find its not running smoothly. [The price you pry for free video])

My personal feeling about this subject parallel some of the points brought up in the discussion. If both sides call the opposing sides "UnAmerican" how can one expect anyone to learn the others point of view. I also become quite concerned when I hear people voice the rederick of their party and say their solution is the "right" one and any other is the "wrong" one. Issues like Economics, Health Care, Social Services, etc. Are not the kind of issues that have 100% right answers or easy to analyze data and solutions.

Both parties have their own aspects in each of the many debated areas that have statistically better chances for success. They also both have many aspects that are a complete toss up. For issues that are so complex it is disturbing how much party followers will behave as if ALL the ideas present by their party are the good and ALL the ideas from the other parties are evil. I have been following Economics and Finance almost all my life, way more then my gaming aspirations and although I may have a certain direction I tend to believe is more likely to be the better choice I'm still eager for someone to come along and show me why they believe otherwise. I have not read any of the posts on this section of the forums but I hope your all using the space to discuss and learn as many points of view as possible. The thought of people just using this space to market a political parties point of view would be a real waste for everyone involved.

FYI....
DW-TV is a German television station which broadcasts all its shows in both German and English. Shows can be viewed by some cable and dish providers or they can be streamed directly from their website (link provided below).

DW-TV (Videos on Demand)

I find most their shows are quite interesting and enjoyable. On the more entertainment side make sure you check out their show "Discover Germany".

Enjoy! ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can Americans hear differing points of view? VIDEO 13 years 2 months ago #5104

• Jedimasterone5577
  • ( User )
  • Thank you received: 2
RunningMan wrote:
Below is a link to a European/American round table on the problems America faces with the polarization of its politics as well as a number of other interesting issues. At the heart of the discussion is concerns over the decline in civility amongst supporters of both the Democrat and Republican parties. I found much of this short discussion to be quite well thought out and insightful. See for yourself...

DW-TV (Arizona Shooting)

(NOTE: click on the icon in the corner to enlarge the video to full screen. Also note that at busy times of the day videos on this sight may not play well so you may have to try back again if you find its not running smoothly. [The price you pry for free video])

My personal feeling about this subject parallel some of the points brought up in the discussion. If both sides call the opposing sides "UnAmerican" how can one expect anyone to learn the others point of view. I also become quite concerned when I hear people voice the rederick of their party and say their solution is the "right" one and any other is the "wrong" one. Issues like Economics, Health Care, Social Services, etc. Are not the kind of issues that have 100% right answers or easy to analyze data and solutions.

Both parties have their own aspects in each of the many debated areas that have statistically better chances for success. They also both have many aspects that are a complete toss up. For issues that are so complex it is disturbing how much party followers will behave as if ALL the ideas present by their party are the good and ALL the ideas from the other parties are evil. I have been following Economics and Finance almost all my life, way more then my gaming aspirations and although I may have a certain direction I tend to believe is more likely to be the better choice I'm still eager for someone to come along and show me why they believe otherwise. I have not read any of the posts on this section of the forums but I hope your all using the space to discuss and learn as many points of view as possible. The thought of people just using this space to market a political parties point of view would be a real waste for everyone involved.

FYI....
DW-TV is a German television station which broadcasts all its shows in both German and English. Shows can be viewed by some cable and dish providers or they can be streamed directly from their website (link provided below).

DW-TV (Videos on Demand)

I find most their shows are quite interesting and enjoyable. On the more entertainment side make sure you check out their show "Discover Germany".

Enjoy! ;)
I didn't know you existed outside of being cannon fodder in CoD:silly:

Just teasing. That post was very well thought out and written. I definitely agree that if we are to discuss a differed point of view than that's what we should do: discuss openly and humbly so we can challenge and grow in our faith and beliefs. If not, then the conversations ultimately aren't edifying but rather detrimental to the body of Christ. Iron needs to sharpen iron rather than being a megaphone to promote, or maybe merely reiterating, a party's so-called ideals. If not than the devil has already won by dividing our body based on worldly perspectives.

Personally, I am similar Roost (at least from what I've gathered) where savior is my party. In other words, I am independent and do no subscribe to either party because none will never fully realize Christ's ideals. Thus, I find it nonsensical to only subscribe to a single party based on a few issues or traditional foundations. I feel, like some scholars, that we should treat each issue as distinct, and thus use our best judgment based on our faith to make the best decisions possible. Like Nietzsche said, we should believe in something because we have tested it and found it to be true rather than merely following a position based solely on following the herd.

Anyway, thanks for sharing there RunningMan. It's nice to see the person behind the name -- and at the end of a kill cam:laugh: . God bless and take care!
Last Edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Jedimasterone5577.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.637 seconds