Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Console or PC

Re: Console or PC 13 years 3 months ago #4940

• Robedias27
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm a PC. I hate Apple. But I just bought a Wii (for Wii Fit and Mario Kart...among other family friendly titles)

My PC run's on a 32" HDTV...so it's where we watch our movies also. (We don't have a "television" in our household, meaning we can't watch channels because we don't have an antenna...purposefully)

-sidenote- we both think that having "TV" available would be cause for the both of us wasting too much time watching crap we don't need to...so we watch "what we want to" on Hulu and Netflix...after it's already aired...i'm kinda babbling...anyways.

Not only am I a PC...but I'm a steam PC with a XBox 360 controller for windows.

I love Steam because it offers tons of titles...and call me lazy...but without having to "put the game in the drive via DVD"...and i know all about virtual drives...etc. but it's still a hassle. Steam also suits me because i like to buy 'gifts' for others. Usually they're cheap titles but fun multiplayer...and I buy birthday/christmas presents and gift them through steam too. I like Online gaming with my brothers (that live in different states) and of course my brothers in Christ. I like the 360 Controller for Windows when playing certain titles...racing games are better with a controller in my opinion (unless you have a wheel, which i don't) and Street Fighter 4...which I've never played with someone i know...

I hope you get the idea with my ramblings...I have the formed opinion that console gamers are "missing out" on the real gaming. PC's rock.
Last Edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Robedias27.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Console or PC 13 years 3 months ago #4947

• Nazareth
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Boy! You guys must have used the Wayback Machine to pull this thread back up. :woohoo:

I'm PC all the way: the kids play XBox, but I hate Consoles. I loved them in my younger years, but they cost me my yearly copy of John Madden PC. That my friends is unforgivable. Anyway, they are probably some kind of communist plot!:P Think about it! You've felt a little uneasy about those boxes since the first one you ever had turned off by itself or froze up everytime you were about to pwn! You know I'm onto something! :sick:

btw I love Steam, as well. On the question we've had about what if Steam goes under, I read that Steam has said that in the event of company failure they will remove the internet requirement completely and unlock our games allowing us to make a copy ( source PC Gamer ).
"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet! That's how World War I got started!"
Last Edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Nazareth.

Re: Console or PC 13 years 3 months ago #4948

• Biscuit
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Yup.
I too, am a PC. Though I frequently use my brother's xbox (xbrick) I still prefer my PC. It ain't the fastest beast anymore, but it gets the job done until I can build a new one later this year.

I am also Linux. Free is good. Free and legal is even better. What else is there to say? Unfortunately being a free product/service there isn't any money available for R&D so advancement is slow. Linux is also purely software as open source hardware doesn't really exist yet :(

I am not a mac. I will not endorse crApple products. They stand in too high a contrast to how I feel computers and software should be (see linux). Everything is proprietary and once you go crApple you're locked in. Forever.

Console. I don't consider myself to be a console, as I prefer my computer, but consoles have their place in my heart all the same...mostly because my computer doesn't have a motion control interface like the wii sticks or Kinect

Re: Console or PC 13 years 3 months ago #4949

• Robedias27
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Currently, this holds true. However, I've read rumors that Kinect (or something like it) is on it's way to Windows based PC's. I'll have to re-locate that article and post it here...

I'm not entirely sure what the point would be...but to bring ports over from the console world. Maybe some indie games made available by ambitious young developers... I think if you wanna swing a tennis racket, buy a wii...I may regret this post in a year's time...there's potential to the PC motion controllers...but I live in a generation where full potential is rarely achieved in the gaming industry. We'll see what happens.

Re: Console or PC 13 years 3 months ago #4950

• Rooster
  • ( Admin )
  • ROOSTER
  • Thank you received: 37
Man, I'm all over all of this.. I represent just about 100%.. I have numerous PC's, running MS-based OS's and Fedora Linux, I have Wii, 360, and now PS3, as well as just about every console system from the Atari 2600 to current day (Atari 2600x2, Atari 5600, NES, SuperNES, N64, Gamecubex2(one modded), Genesis, SegaCD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox x4 (2modded), Psx (old gray), PSOne(small, white), PS2 x3 (one modded), no slim PS2..)..

PC I prefer, not that is becoming a more rare thing. I do like the customization possible with PC versions of titles, and of course, running servers, tweaking, etc.. It's a bummer when the game exceeds your PC however, and that double-edged sword sometimes gives you an unfair advantage OR disadvantage over fellow PC players. It also used to be the case that PC titles were slightly cheaper than nextgen console games, which were totally exploiting "we run in HD now, it costs more to develop" bigtime when they started charging $59.99 per title. Prior to this, there were many games in my collection here that I owned over multiple platforms.

Here's a little secret though.. First off, for 360 (and others) there are adapters for usb/PS2(the keyboard, not the console!) keyboard/mouse adapters so you can enjoy the key/mouse combo in FPS shooters, even though 'they' don't want you to. Console games almost always have a sensitivity option which is cranked way down for some reason; alter the setting to a more 'PC friendly' feel for greater enjoyment. What I DO like about console systems is that in many cases, they offer co-op/split-screen play, meaning if my son and I want to play Black Ops, I don't have to fork over $100-120 bucks for 2 PC copies, one $59 360/PS3 disc will do it.

There are many good console-only titles out there, that you are just plain missing if you avoid consoles. And, since they are designed around a very specific set of hardware (not identical, because console version do have slight changes), you can rest assured when you buy it, it WILL play great, if not superbly. None of this PC Paid Betaware that plagues just about EVERY recent title in the last few years.

360 has Kinect, PS3 has MOVE and the six-axis (ps3 controllers are also motion capable), Wii has, well it's already built in to their controllers :). There already is software to use Kinect on the PC, though it's not official yet from MS (it will be, just as any 360 perhiperal, from controllers to steering wheels, to... is). The Kinect is designed by Jonny Chung Lee, if I got his name right - He was the guy who made the Wiimote's world-wide popular for hooking them up to a PC, using them as a gigantic white-board, even released a somewhat cool 3d target shooter using the wiimote and 'fingergloves' (a glove with reflective strips on your fingers).. I posted his stuff on year years ago, so yeah, there's no doubt he'll release similar for the PC..

I use an antenna, no cable/satellite. We watch the local news in the morning/evening on it, that's about it. The HD quality is awesome, far better than cable, who gets their HD feed, and like sat. co's, compresses it.. It's amazing the raw, true 1080p signal that is broadcast live, for free. But, because of our schedules and life in general, most our show watching is done later. I download the shows to meh media PC, then use either our HTPC (Home theater PC), one of the 360's, the XBox(modded running XBMC) or the PS3 to watch them. This also allows pretty much any device in my house to watch the shows, regardless of time/location. As long as there is a console/PC, and a viewing device (HDTV and old CRT or puter monitor) you are set. Oh, and the Android phones in my house and PSP can also tune into said library. There is also an HDHomeRun hooked to my network which allows various programs including but not limited to Media Center access the TV feed on the HDHR's dual-tuner, to play and or record shows myself. It grabs what I don't normally snag off the net. I've also been working on converting all my DVD's (don't even ask how many) to .avi for playback anywhere as well.

I guess what I'm saying is that PC and consoles are just an integrated part of our lives here. We use them for far more than just games.. In fact, numerous PC's run the Folding@Home 24/7, and now, my PS3 does as well. So when they aren't entertaining us, they are working to potentially save YOUR life, or someone you know :) FWIW, I am in the 15k ranking overall of well over 1.5milliion users. ;) :) :)

I do somewhat disagree on the development comment on Linux. Distro's are incredibly advanced. The problem with linux in general is that it's key feature, the ability to be unique is exactly what kills it. Unlike console systems, and unlike your favorite PC OS, be it MS-based or Apple (oh, I do own an Apple G3 Blue&White, which also folds when it's not being used, which isn't often), it's near impossible for any developer to code "that great game" or application for linux because it would take a lifetime to ensure it would run on any more than the top 3 flavors. That, is Linux's gift and curse. Non intense programs, like OpenOffice, for instance, absolutely rock. And for a couple my PC's here, including a HTPC, linux is a super-stable, absolutely free rocking way to be. And there are several cool "linux-based" games that run well, as well.. But getting all that back-end stuff united so that gamer development companies would code for linux would mean less freedom to be what linux is. Like I say, it's a double-edged sword, unfortunately.

Apple, which I despise, is onto one great thing. As is partially true with MS-OS's, Apple's OSX IS a linux OS. Apple controls very tightly the hardware. Therefore, like a console, Apple systems "appear" to be smoother, better designed, because Apple is controlling your experience. Think about it. If MS said you have to buy brand x or y mobo, brand f or k's CPU, etc.. If they laid out a specific set of hardware requirements by brand and model, how much more stable your MS PC would be. Thankfully, they don't. But, the cost is that your PC just might lock up or bug out a little more than your Apple buddy.

No matter how you dice it up, good times can be had on both, just have to be open-minded and try out some titles. If you, an avid PC gamer pick up Halo:Reach for 360, you won't like it out the gate, even if you ARE familiar with consoles.. Tweak the settings, and I can almost promise you'll see whey millions, if not 10's or 100's of millions of purchases say: Halo is awesome. Great story-line, great gameplay. Just gotta get past (or buy an adapter!) the controller vs. key/mouse dilemma. I like both, in fact, on my PC sits a 360 controller. Back in my BF2 days, I used to use a self-hacked original Xbox controller. I roamed on foot and land vehicles with key/mouse, but jets and heli's, I was all about the xbox controller. I had wicked flight skillz :) I miss those days...

Re: Console or PC 13 years 3 months ago #4952

• Monte1541
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
I have 11 PCs in which 2 of those are physical servers running Hyper-V with about 3 VMs per physical host. My gaming machine is a few years old but seems to handle BO well now that the patch is out. My gaming machine has a 24" flat panel. Most of the "PCs" are servers in which I have a rack in my computer room closet. The closet has an air conditioning unit to keep the temperture from getting too hot. Each machine is running either Windows 2008 server or Windows 7.

I also have a Comodore 64. :)

Once I finish writing an application I have been working on the last few months, I am going to buy an Apple Macbook so I can write iPhone and iPad apps.

I have an old school xBox and a Wii. The xBox is in the closet and the Wii is for my 5 year old. I'm not a fan of the controllers for any of the consoles and therefore I do not play them.
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds