Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nastalgia: An analysis of my return to BF2 &BF2142

Nastalgia: An analysis of my return to BF2 &BF2142 16 years 1 month ago #507

• Jedimasterone5577
  • ( User )
  • Thank you received: 2
Note: Seeing that there are no articles in this section, I thought I'd be the first to post here.

Well, since I had not played these games in a while (Bf2 over 6 months ago and bf2142 3 months ago), I wanted to play them again to see how they still stack-up today. Let me begin with BF2. When I began playing BF2 again, I started to remember how much I loved this game. I ended up playing for about 4 hours straight -- sorry but I am not a marathon gamer. What I found about this game, which I wish CoD4 had grasped, is that when you find a good squad to play with, there is no better game than BF2. It makes every turn, every firefight, every death, every inch gained, a blast to play! It takes the sum of all the parts of the game and makes them a meaningful romp. In other words, it makes you feel a part of the war. So, after this night of gameplaying, I fell in love all over again with this game and look forward to playing it on a regular basis.

Now on to BF2142. Well, unlike BF2, this game just disappointed me more than anything. It is a far shadow of what it began to be and how it felt before people found out how to exploit the game's shortcomings. What I mean by this is that this game has become way too arcady! Last night I was playing for a couple of hours. I began by connecting to a nice populated server (50+ people) to see how she ran today. And to my dismay, BF2142 plainly stinks and should not have been a worthy successor to the BF2 franchise!

To get an understanding as to why I have come to believe this, the game has become a knife, rocket, and 'nade fest! For instance, when I was playing on the Camp Gibraltar map, I found several people just running around with knives. They would chase after people like wild mad-men and kill their victims with impunity. One such gamer chased after me relentlessly. As he approached, I unloaded a whole clip on this knife wielding crazy man, and instead of him dying or being warded off by my barrage, he ran up and killed me with one swipe. This scenario began to occur the rest of the night. Furthermore, it seems as though people don't even use there basic weapons anymore. They just 'nade and rocket an objective over and over again. This makes for frustrating gameplay because all you do is die at every choke point!

You can tell that DICE had given up on the game long ago. With gameplay so cheap now, I guess DICE decided it had milked enough money from this franchise to say good riddance to it. Sad as this game had so much potential. I really enjoyed it when it first came around. But now, well, you get the picture.

The ironic part of all this is that this won't be the last time I pop in BF2142. There is a realism mod out that is supposed to be good. I want to check it out to see if it is able to overcome these shortcomings the game has today. Maybe it will return me to the days in Hawaii when I looked forward to the fragfest this game brought. Or maybe it will be the final nail in this game's coffin and allow me to just burn this DVD so I can finally lay it rest.

Anyway, God bless and sorry for the long article. I just had to vent!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Nastalgia: An analysis of my return to BF2 &BF2142 16 years 1 month ago #508

• Tekel
  • ( User )
  • cKs Member
Awesome news, bro! I'm still digging BF2 myself, so look me up on xfire whenever you wanna wax nastalgic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds